The RiiSE project, developed in 2017, is an award-winning and innovative initiative aimed at raising the profile of radiology and IR careers to medical students and junior doctors. Over the past 4 years RiiSE has established itself as the leading UK event of its kind. We give delegates the opportunity to explore future careers in the realm of medical imaging and showcase their work at a national event.
At the heart of RiiSE is an aspiration to breakdown barriers between students/recent graduates and senior academics and clinicians in the medical imaging world. Our events give attendees the opportunity to meet with and talk directly to radiology trainees, consultant radiologists, academics and representatives from the radiology training and education bodies.
There are a staggering number of vacant radiologist posts across the UK; the potential which interventional radiology (IR) has to revolutionise areas of healthcare delivery in the future looks set to only compound this issue. Despite the obvious expanded workforce which is required, there is a lack of focus on the next generation of diagnostic and interventional radiologists. RiiSE18 and RiiSE19 made Edinburgh a trailblazer in this regard and RiiSE events are an excellent opportunity for medical students and junior doctors from across the UK and Ireland to explore these careers and learn about the future of medical imaging and image-guided intervention.
We are always open to feedback and make great efforts year-on-year to develop and improve our events. Due to obvious restrictions related to the ongoing pandemic – RiiSE20 was unfortunately cancelled and RiiSE21 will be delivered as a virtual event. Registration for RiiSE21 is now open – register HERE.
Notable RiiSE Achievements:
- University of Edinburgh Student Experience Grant winner 2018
- NHS Education Scotland Commended Award for Innovation in Training 2019
- CIRSE 2019 Presentation on the RiiSE Project at Students on Stage Session
- RiiSE/IRJ/BSIR TasteIR Series in 2020 broadcast to a global audience
- RiiSE Founder and Event Coordinator 2017 – Present: Niall Burke
- RiiSE18 Conference Team: Niall Burke, Kirsten Kind, Vicky Tiliridou.
- RiiSE19 Conference Team: Dilini Fernando, Fortis Gaba, Kirsten Kind.
- RiiSE20 Conference Team: Matthew Bracchi, Derek Smith, Kirsten Kind.
- RiiSE21 Conference Team: Thai Ling Wong, Muchen Jiang, Matthew Bracchi.